I was only tenuously connected to the Oscars this year, neither thrilled by the nominees or Seth McFarlane hosting. However, my brief flashes of interest brought me to the internet or the actual televised event. To wit:
- Argo winning Best Picture instead of Lincoln was one of two big surprises for me. The Academy usually eats up the historical biopic of a prominent American figure (seeing how the Academy judges are old enough to remember the film’s material firsthand).
- Brave winning Best Animated Picture over Wreck-It Ralph was the second surprise. Brave was a competent film with gorgeous animation, but I think Wreck-It Ralph had a better story. Again, those dusty skeletons taking up seats in the Academy probably had a hard time following the movie involving those magical picture machines you play games on.
- Django Unchained took home two Oscars. That pleased me.
- The Hobbit didn’t get Best Visual Effects ORBest Makeup/Hairstyling. Because animating a tiger and putting dirt and fake blood on French people were clearly the real showcases of these catgories.
- Seth McFarlane was offensive as the Oscar MC and people were offended by him? What a shock.
- Jennifer Lawrence is classy, cute, and fun. I hope she gets plenty of sweet movie deals in the future.